Road Trippin'

Go down

Road Trippin'

Post  Jeri on Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:54 pm

I'd like to do a thread open to anyone on the site, any of your characters are welcome. This is an AU road trip themed thread. If you don't want to jump on the bus right away, but would like to later, feel free. Our crew can pick your character up somewhere and take him along for the ride until you want off. Also--it's AU, so if you have a younger character who wouldn't logically be around at this time--in the eighties--such as....hm...AJ Styles for example? It doesn't matter, you can stick him in anyway. Also, I don't expect everyone to put down massive posts, I just...my posts when starting a thread seem to be long because I like to set up the thread, the scene, etc, so don't freak out! I'll mostly be playing as Roddy, Bret, and Owen (younger versions, not current versions). Let's see how this ride goes. Grab your seat belts, and hang on!

-------------------

"Ooh it's PERFECT!" The blond proclaimed, as he put his hands to his hips and with a wide grin, surveyed the broken down, painted up bus. Some of the windows were colored in, psychedelic designs wove over the exterior, the bright colors dimmed a bit with lack of washing and some passing time. It was the eighties, and this trippy giant looked like it had been more at home in a groovier time period.

"Well it ain't quite perfect, O." Roddy said, milling around the bus, kicking at one of the tireless rims. "But I ain't too shabby with a wrench, so I could probably fix her up and have her ready." He propped up the hood and looked at what was underneath. "There's a tree growin' in here, man."

Owen seemed not to care, or understand the gravity of such a thing. With some effort, he forced the doors open and climbed on in.

"Woohoo!" Like a child, Owen ran up and down the isle of the bus, causing it to rock.

"Waaah hey!" Roddy cried, almost but not quite pulling his head out from under the hood in the nick of time--the hood flopped down, crashing into the back of his head with a thud and shoving his face onto the grimy engine. "Gaaaaaah!" Roddy managed to pry the hood back up, and dropped it down. He rubbed at the back of his head and poked it through the doors, glaring irately.

"Stop rockin' the bus, baby Jesus! Ya dropped the fuckin' hood on my noggin! I ain't got much up here, ya don't hafta make it harder on me!"

Owen stopped, midway down the isle, and turned to look at Roddy. The happy expression on the younger mans face was too much, and Roddy couldn't stay annoyed at all. His eyes smiled at Owen.

"Sorry Roddy! I'm just thinkin' about how much fun this is gonna be! It'll be just the thing Bret needs!" He moved more cautiously towards the front of the bus. Roddy moved out from the door, and Owen hopped down from the steps.

The man selling the beat up bus was standing near by up on a stump, surveying some of the other wrecks that pockmarked the field that served as a backyard to the house--or rather the shack--he called his home.

"So, whaddya boys think, eh?" He asked, picking at one of his teeth...one of the few that remained.

"Weee'll it's kinda--"

"We'll take it!" Owen exclaimed, interrupting Roddy.

"Rough." Rod finished, tilting his head at his cousin, and scratching his ear.

"Good deal, boys!" The man's decaying smile grew wide, and he stepped down from his stump.

Roddy rolled his eyes, and dug his wallet out of his back pocket.

"Ya said two hundred, right?"

"Three hundred." Owen chimed in. The seller's eyes grew a bit wide, as Owen winked at him.

"Er, yeah, three hundred'll do 'er!" He held out his grimy palm.

"Noooo wait a minute here, he told us TWO hundred...and that don't count that we'll have to get this thing towed outta here. It ain't gonna run on two bum tires, two dented rims, and a tree under the damn hood!"

"Rod..." Owen moved Rod to the side a bit, talking lowly. "Three hundred. Look at the guy, he could use it."

Roddy glanced back over his shoulder at the man and home, both of which were dilapidated. It reminded him of the hard times he'd had, and the few people who had taken mercy on him and been kind enough to help him out. His mouth formed a slow smile, and he went back to the man, with Owen following close behind. He sifted through the bills in his wallet, and laid some out onto the mans palm, watching as the mans eyes grew big in shock.

"Ya said five hundred, right?"

---

The bus was eventually fixed up after a lot of sweat and money was poured into it. Nights often found Roddy up late, face and clothes smeared with grime and grit, tinkering with the mammoth that now lived in Roddy and Ric's back yard. Ric had refused to allow the dirty monstrosity in the same garage with his precious Caddy. But finally, it was up and running, no tree involved. Now it was just time for the kidnapping, because the three of them knew that Bret would never go willingly.

Bret Hart was one of twelve heirs to the Hart family business, but out of the twelve, he was the one most involved and most prominent in it. He took his work very seriously--too seriously--and his younger brother Owen, and cousin Rod, had made plans to take Bret away from the immense stress and pressure of having the family enterprise resting primarily on his shoulders. Since being buried under more and more responsibility and pressure, Bret had turned from a quiet, fun-loving, dry-humored individual into a man whose facial expression seemed to always look as rigid as his starch shirts did. The company and its progression, expansion, success, or failure, were constant probes into his mind and there were few moments in his day that he did not think of it, or speak of it. As Owen pointed out in the perfect cliche, All work and no play makes Jack--or in this case Bret--a dull boy.

Bret straightened his pink tie and smoothed it out against his neat black shirt, a stack of files in hand, his curls pulled into a ponytail at the back of his neck. He was waiting for the rest of the seats and the long table to be filled up, but as time ticked by on the clock, the glass doors to the meeting room did not open. His secretary had given him the memo that his father had called a very important meeting, which was supposed to be taking place right now. Bret begin to fidget and worry, wondering if she'd taken down the wrong date, time, or even the wrong room. He flipped through his files, sighing, straightening the papers over and over. He tapped his fingers against the polished black surface of the table, he stalked the clock with his dark eyes.

Finally he couldn't stand it any longer. He pushed his chair back, ready to leave, and chew his secretary to shreds before she left for the day. She was a complete imbeci--Bret stopped, relieved when he saw his younger brother, and his cousin coming into the room. His relief immediately turned to confusion when he noted how they were dressed--jeans and t-shirts, not business appropriate at all. He tucked his files under his arm and played with one of the buttons on his custom taylored slate gray suit coat, which matched his flattering slacks.

"What's going on?" He looked from man to man, even more confused when Owen got behind him, and Roddy grabbed hold of his wrist.

"Come on Bret! We're going!" Owen proclaimed, shoving him towards the door as Roddy tugged at him.

"What--wait, what are you talkin' about? Y'know you can't just come in here and...what...your messin' up my cuffs!" He snatched his wrist back from Roddy's grasp, dropping his files, papers fanning out all over the room. He scowled. "Great."

"We're going on an adventure!" Owen climbed up onto the sleek black table. Roddy stepped onto one of the papers as Bret bent to pick it up.

"Roddy--" Bret stopped when he glanced up at the table. "OWEN. What--get down from there! You're gonna scuff the table, people are gonna see you! My papers...my files...Rod, Owen!"

"Ah jeez, we're gonna give him a damn coronary." Roddy swatted Bret's hands away from the papers. "Don't worry about 'em!" He reached into the back pocket of his jeans, where he had a small clothe. Owen hopped down from the table, and grabbed Bret from behind. Roddy pressed the cloth to Bret's nose and mouth, holding Bret's head to keep him as still as possible as the irate businessman thrashed.

"What are you doin' to me--is that--are chloro...chlo..." Bret's voice trailed off, his eyelids drooping and his eyes rolling until they closed, and he slouched back against Owen.

"You sure this wont hurt him?" Owen asked, flicking Bret's cheek a bit as he held him. He was completely out.

"Sure, it's fine." Roddy shrugged as if it was nothing, and shoved the clothe back into his pocket. He and Owen moved Bret out towards the stairs. They'd decided before hand to use them, it would be more discrete, because no one in the building would use the stairs when they could take the nice glass elevators to and fro. Carrying the dead weight of Bret down flights and flights of stairs was more tiring and cumbersome than they had imagined, but they finally made it to the lower level of the high rise complex. They came out near the back doors, and got Bret out of them without drawing attention. They pulled him onto the bus and propped him up in one of the seats.

"Woo hoo, we did it!" Owen cheered, patting Rod on the shoulder.

"We sure did, kid!" He motioned towards his lover Ric, who was behind the wheel. "Let's roll." Rod ran his hand over the fuzzy fabric that Ric had insisted he recover the once battered bus seats with. Owen sat down in the seat behind Bret, and moved a stray curl from his brothers face. After a moment, he turned to Roddy, curious.

"So...how'd ya know about the chloroform? Have you done that before, or somethin'?"

Roddy raised his eyebrows at Owen, leaned over his seat, and nudged Ric's shoulder.

"Could ya turn the radio on?"

---

Jeri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Road Trippin'

Post  Thorsmaven on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:11 pm

That damn relic. That rusty, dirty, damn relic. When Roddy brought it home Ric HATED it. It was a damn eye shore compared to the beauty in the garage and he was NOT having it anywhere near his beloved caddy. He scowled the whole entire time Roddy was repairing it- pestering with him of complaints of "does it run? What's that comin' outta it? Is that oil? Ain't the most of this all rust? I don't want JJ playin' 'round it an' me havin' to get him a tetanus shot".

He stood out on the porch with JJ in his arms- the two year old squirming around in his mother's arms. "Ugly, ugly bus." He muttered with disdain.

"BUS COOL!" JJ protested, his blonde curls bouncing around. "Daddy bus COOL! Mama down! Wanna see daddy!"

"...You would take his side." He made a face. "And no! Ya'll get tetanus." He muttered and took him back inside. Ric was not against this trip at all- Bret needed a break. He just... hated the damn bus.

-

Ric sat in the covered seat- if he was going to drive, he was going to do it in style. He fluffed his blonde hair, checking his reflection in the mirror while they waited for Roddy and Owen to return. He watched JJ run up and down the center aisle, idly wondering HOW he got out of his seat.

"BUS BUS BUS BUS!" He clapped his hands and was finally caught by his mother who strapped him back in with all the seat belts in the seat.

"Stay."

"But maaaa!"

"STAY." He nodded at the toddler's pout and returned to his seat as their adventure was about to take place. He took off for the open road and nodded. "Hell yeah we can have some tunes, Pipes!" He said and quickly turned the radio on, snickering at Owen's question.

Thorsmaven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeri on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:30 pm

Roddy smiled as he watched his son bob happily in his seat. He and little JJ sang together when song on the radio hit it's chorus: Godzilla, by Blue Oyster Cult. Roddy made rawring Godzilla sounds, and leaned over into JJ's seat to tickle him, until the bus was filled with the childs giggles. Owen poked Bret, wandering how long he'd be out. After enough prodding assured him that Bret would still be out for awhile, Owen produced a Sharpie and began to draw a mustache on Bret's upper lip. His laughter soon joined that of JJ's, as he carefully colored in a handle bar mustache fit for a Yosemite Sam.

Roddy moved over to the seat where the Hart's were, lurching as the movement of the bus made his legs a little spaghetti-like. He flopped down into the seat, and leaned in looking over Owen's shoulder to see what the younger man was up to now. Bret's slumbering body was propped up against the side wall of the bus, his head tilting back to rest against the window. And Owen was coloring a mustache onto the still features.

"OWEN!" Roddy poked at Bret. "That shit's permanent!"

Owen shrugged his shoulders with a small smirk.

"I know." He said, as though it didn't matter. Roddy nudged him.

"Here, lemme see that."

Owen handed the marker to Roddy, who pushed Bret's stray curls back from his forehead, and wrote in slow letters. After he was done, he leaned back to admire his handy work, and capped the marker.

"Doofus!" Roddy proclaimed, laughing so hard that tears came to his eyes.

"Rod, ya spelled it wrong." Owen looked seriously at his cousin, and then they both burst into laughter all over again.

Bret stirred, mumbling something, groaning awake. His eyes slowly opened, and it took him a few moments to focus the two blurs in front of him into people: His cousin, and his brother. Bret rubbed at his eyes, confused, and readjusted himself in the seat, slowly noticing that he was in a bus.

"What the...ugggh..." Bret gave his head a shake, to clear away the cobwebs. He pulled the knot out of his tie and popped the first two buttons on his shirt. He turned to Bret and Owen, looking at them so seriously, his lips in a flat line underneath that cartoon of a mustache with the misspelled 'Doofis' on his forehead. "What the hell did you two do to me?"

Roddy and Owen lost it. They brayed laughter. Roddy fell out of his seat and into the isle of the bus and just laid their laughing, unable to do anything else.

"What the hell is so fucking funny!" Bret growled, and moved on wobbly legs to the seat behind the driver, as he stepped over the form of giggling Roddy who was curled into the fetal position. Bret sat down, and recognized the driver of the bus as Ric. He gave him a slap in the back of his platinum head, out of pure annoyance. "Do you wanna tell me what's goin' on? I can't get anything out of Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumbmer back there." Bret said, referring to Rod and Owen.

Jeri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thorsmaven on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:25 pm

Ric looked up at Bret when he spoke, his blue eyes wide and unblinking. He bit back laughter, noming on his bottom lip. "Oh... ah... You have a lil' somethin' there." He said making a mustache motion under his nose with his finger. "Might want to get that off Bret. It ain't very becomin'."

JJ was pleased as can be with all the attention focused solely on him. He kept singing Godzilla even though the song had gone on the radio. That was up until he saw Bret slap the back of Ric's head. He wiggled his way out of all the belts, teetering on unsteady legs toward Bret. He hit him in the back of the knee which was all he could reach. "No hit mommy!"

Ric smirked at Bret and pulled the bus over. "Ya hear that? No hit mommy, Bret. Pay attention to my son, he's a smart cookie. He knows how to play by the rules. An' as for why ya'll are on this bus to begin with, ya might want to ask my Pipes or your lil' brother." He said smugly and then turned his attention back to JJ. "How in the hell did ya'll get out of your seat AGAIN!" He picked up JJ and brought him over to Roddy. "Watch your dang son. Apparently he can give Houdini a run for his money."

"Houinininin!" JJ chirped and clapped his hands. "Hai daddy!"

Thorsmaven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeri on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:07 pm

Roddy pulled JJ into his lap, smiling down fondly at his boy. He ran his fingers through JJ's blond mop of hair, and held him close.

"You can't be runnin' all over the bus, big guy. Mommy an' Daddy love ya and we want ya in one piece! Mwwwwwah!" Roddy kissed the top of JJ's head.

Bret meanwhile, was peering over Ric's shoulder into the rear view mirror. His brows bunched in annoyance and his lips pulled downwards.

"Doofis? If you're gonna write insults on my forehead at least spell 'em correctly." He rubbed at the thick mustache drawn onto his face, but it didn't smear, and none of the black rubbed off onto the swirls and whorls of his fingertips. "Please don't tell me this is permanent marker..."

"OH GEE it sure is hot in here..." Owen turned towards his window, and jammed it upwards, ignoring Bret's question with a small smile that his brother did not see--nor did he need to see it to know it was there.

"Don't worry, Bret. We're not gonna tell you."

Bret sank down into his seat, and closed his eyes. He rested his head against the cool glass window.

"Okay, you idiots had your fun, now turn this piece of junk around and take me home. I have a lot of things--important things--to do tomorrow." Bret rubbed at one of his temples as all the things he had to do tomorrow filled his head, making it feel like it could quite possibly explode if one more bit of pressure was added to it. There was just so much and his father expected more from him, held him to a higher standard, because Bret held himself to a higher standard. He wanted to excel at everything he did, he wanted to please his father, so he pushed himself and made it his business to be the best. But the bar his father set for him seemed even higher than his own personal one. He strove for it day after day, but always felt that no matter what he did, that he somehow fell short.

"No can do. We're taking you away for a nice trippy poo, before you end up in the nuthouse. You need a break." Roddy explained, as continued to play with JJ's hair. "You need fun. You need freedom. The open road! And uh...just so ya know, the bus ain't a piece of junk. I busted my tail on it, so don't call it names. She's sensitive." Roddy pouted a little, and petted the back of the seat in front of him speaking lowly. "Don't worry girl, the big grumpy didn't mean it."

"So where are we headed for, Ric?" Owen asked, watching the traffic pass them by as they waited on the shoulder.

Jeri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DK on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:02 pm

The bar was hot as hell and it made his curls flop down into his eyes constantly. With growl he combed them back and barked at his crew; the few underaged boys that he'd hired to wipe down tables and clean the floor. Of course if the health department came around they disappeared real quick.

"Git them damn dishes offa tha table. We doan have much time a'fore the dinner crowd gets here." He snarled as he moved past the young dark headed boy he'd hired.

"But Ace..."

"Don't but Ace me, git it done."

The young man's full lips thinned to a line as he moved about his job. If it weren't for the fact that the kid was working his way through college and supporting his drug addict of a brother he'd have kicked him to curb. But to be fair he was hard worker and other than a few grumbles he always done what he was told to do. With a sigh Ace retired to his office, counting out that's week pay and throwing an extra hundred; that he couldn't really afford; into the kids check.

If there was one thing about Ace that most people overlooked was that he had a soft heart. He cared for his family and for his close friends and when he seen someone that was worse off than he....and he was pretty bad off, a widower with a young son to care for and a dilapidated bar to care for.....he always tried to help them as much as possible. He was oblivious to the grumbling of his help as he counted out the money; and it was a good thing he was or else the young kid would have found himself out of a job.

With a scowl the dark haired boy cleaned off the table; wiping the crumbs off the table to the floor where they were going to be swept up later. The door to the bar slammed open and he shook his head as his brother wandered in higher than shit.

"Jeff, what are you doing here?" He hissed as he shoved his brother down into a chair and got him a glass of water. "If ole Acey catches you around here again he's going to can me."

Jeff waved his hand dismissively at his brother. "Who cares wha that ole tub o lard says Matteh...yer gonna gradate colledge and take care o us one day. Ya doan need this stinkin job."

Matt rolled his eyes and tugged his brother up from his chair and shoved out of the door, closing it behind him just as Ace came out of his office; a large white envelope in his hand. His eyes narrowed on him and Matt hurriedly started rubbing at the tables again to make it look like he had been working.

"Who was in here wit ya boy?" Ace demanded as he pinned the young man with a glare. "And don't ya be lying to me none either."

Matt swallowed hard before looking down at the scarred table top. "N-no one sir, I was talking to myself."

Ace's eyes narrowed; he'd heard another voice, he knew it deep down but he couldn't come out and call the kid a liar, after all the kid had never done anything for him to distrust. With a grunt he handed the envelope to him and turned back around, heading back into his office and settling down into his chair with a sigh. If only he could get out of this place; he'd take his son and leave; never to look back again.

Matt had let out a sigh when Ace had shut himself away, opening his envelope and counting out the six hundred dollars with wide eyes. His rent was only three but they needed groceries and there was the water bill that needed payed as well. He shoved the money into his back pocket and made the mental note to hide whatever was left so that Jeff couldn't spend it his drugs. As he went back sweeping and mopping the floor he wished he had the money to take his brother away so he could get him well and return him to the artistic young man he'd known before the heroin had taken him over. But for Matt Hardy there was no use in dreaming; it only made him sadder when he had to wake up in his dingy apartment with peeling pant and scarce food while his brother slept in some drug or alcohol induced state. Yes, dreams were for fools in Matt's world and Matt Hardy was no fool.
DK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thorsmaven on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:18 pm

"Oh the hell if I know!" Ric said looking back at Owen. "I'm jus' drivin'. No one said where to go an' do so I'm wingin' it." He grinned and continued to drive, agreeing silently with Bret for his assessment of the bus. "It's fine, Bret. Relax. Your brother an' my Pipes figure your head's about to explode into bits a nothingness if ya didn't get a vacation."

JJ giggled and looked up at his father with adoring eyes. He decided to park himself down and watch out the window as the scenery passed by. He was only two, but used to his parents behavior by now- this seemed like any other day of the week to him. He wiggled off his father's lap, moving over to press his hands to the glass to peer out at the landscape, utterly transfixed by the things passing them by.

"Urgh! Pipes, I'm pulling over." Ric said abruptly. He was starving, tired of sitting, and wanted to get something to eat. There was a ramshackle bar up ahead, the kind that he would frequent during his earlier days. The nostalgia alone was enough to make him pull over.

"Mommy, daddy- yucky." JJ frowned and scrunched up his face, his mind not understanding why they were stopping here of all places.

Thorsmaven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeri on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:29 pm

Roddy held JJ on one hip as he moved towards the front of the stopped bus.

"Whaddya mean, yucky?" He smiled widely, kissing the boys forehead. "We'll get ya somethin' not yucky, I promise." He looked back to the Hart's, who were quietly bickering with each other. "Ya comin' or not? I don't know about you two, but I'm hungry too. It can't be no worse than Ric's cookin', an' I'm sure it ain't as greasy as Bret's hair, so we all oughta come out a' there alive enough."

Roddy left the bus, his shoes crunching on the gravel outside.

"Fine. It's not the kind of place I'd usually go for, but I do hafta agree with Cousin Crazy on one thing--I'm starving." Bret combed some of his hair down over his forehead, hoping the stray curls would hide most of the 'Doofis' that was written there.

The men made their way into the bar, the scent of beer, fried food, and stale smoke, hitting them immediately.

Jeri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DK on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:00 pm

The bell over the door jangled and Bob poked his head out of the office; eying the newcomers warily. It wasn't that he didn't like customers, but those that weren't from around tended to give his underage staff the oddest looks that usually sent them skittering away for fear of being turned into the labor board.

"Boy! Go seat them and get them the menus." He gruffed at the small blond boy that had accompanied Hardy that day; Shannon or some other silly girls name. "And make sure your friend treats them with his best manners. I can't have another ruckus like last Tuesday because he wants to run his jib."

The little blond nodded his head and hurried away, smiling at the group and after grabbing the required amount of menus led them to a large table in the back. Once they were seated he smiled at the little bouncing blond boy. "Are you going to need a highchair?"

As he waited for an answer Matt joined them, smiling at each person in turn. "My name is Matt, I'm going to be your waiter this evening. What can I start you off with tonight?"
DK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down